Is Outpatient Joint Replacement Right For You?
In 1962, Peachtree Orthopedics founder Dr. Joseph H. Dimon III performed Georgia's first total hip replacement surgery. Since then, Peachtree Orthopedics has been at the forefront of the field. And now, our fellowship-trained joint surgeons - Doctors Gupta, McDonald, Royster, Henry, Smith, York, and Thomas - are pleased to offer outpatient total joint replacement surgery as an option for their patients.
Outpatient total joint replacement - meaning patients can go home the same day - has been made possible by recent advances in technology, anesthesia, advanced and minimally invasive surgical techniques, and effective physical therapy soon after surgery.
Benefits of Outpatient Joint Replacement
- Our outpatient surgery centers are less intimidating than hospitals, and can help alleviate the anxiety associated with surgery.
- Less invasive surgical techniques use a tissue sparing approach to minimize damage to muscle or tendon.
- Patients have less scarring and fewer complications.
- Patients have a quicker return to mobility and activities.
- Improved pain management techniques mean fewer narcotic requirements during recovery.
- Less medication results in fewer side effects.
- Patients can return home the same day or stay overnight and receive one-on-one nursing care.
- A more streamlined procedure means a lower cost to patients.
The end result is an easier procedure and recovery leading to the best possible outcome.