Walter B. McClelland, Jr., M.D.
Walter B. McClelland, Jr., M.D. joined Peachtree Orthopedics in 2012. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and holds a Certificate of Added Qualification in Hand Surgery.
- Hand, Wrist and Microvascular Surgery; Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Curtis National Hand Center; Baltimore, MD - Hand, Upper Extremity & Microvascular Surgery (2010-2011)
- Hopital de L'Archet 2 (Prof. Pascal Boileau); Nice, France - Shoulder & Elbow Surgery (2011-2012)
- Emory University School of Medicine; Atlanta, GA - Orthopaedic Surgery (2005-2010)
- Honors: Chief Resident, Bubba and Bwana Award
- Emory University School of Medicine; Atlanta, GA (2001-2005)
- Honors: Joseph Whitehead Surgery Scholarship
- Princeton University; Princeton, NJ - BA, History (1997-2001)
Education and Training
Dr. McClelland is an Atlanta native and a 1997 graduate of The Westminster Schools. He earned his B.A. in History from Princeton University in 2001. While at Princeton, Dr. McClelland was a member of the men’s cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track teams. He returned to Atlanta to complete his M.D. degree at Emory University School of Medicine in 2005, where he was honored with the Joseph Whitehead Surgery Scholarship. Dr. McClelland remained at Emory to complete his orthopedic residency training. While there, he was recognized with the Bubba and Bwana Award and was elected chief resident during his final year.
Dr. McClelland went on to complete a fellowship in hand, upper extremity, and microvascular surgery at the prestigious Curtis National Hand Center in Baltimore, Maryland, one of the nation’s oldest and most well-respected hand and upper extremity training facilities. While there, Dr. McClelland honed his treatment of complex disorders related to acute trauma, nerve injury and compression, arthritis, athletic injury, and congenital malformation.
After completing his time in Baltimore, Dr. McClelland elected to pursue a second fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery in Nice, France, under the guidance of Professor Pascal Boileau, a world-leader in disorders of the shoulder. During his time abroad, Dr. McClelland trained extensively in both arthroscopic and open surgical techniques, including rotator cuff repair, shoulder instability repair, and shoulder replacement (both traditional and reverse total shoulder arthroplasty).
Dr. McClelland has authored numerous scientific articles, book chapters, and educational videos related to orthopedic surgery of the upper extremity, and has won several awards for his work. Most recently, he published a book chapter titled “Massive Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears: How to Rebalance the Cuff-Deficient Shoulder” in the medical textbook entitled “Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty.” This work is the result of several research projects that Dr. McClelland completed during his shoulder and elbow fellowship in France.
He has been invited to lecture both nationally and internationally, and continues to participate actively in orthopedic research. He holds the title of adjunct assistant professor in the department of orthopedic surgery at Emory University.
Dr. McClelland offers innovative techniques, such as Xiaflex for Dupuytren’s Disease, endoscopic carpal tunnel release for carpal tunnel syndrome, and reverse total shoulder arthroplasty for certain types of shoulder arthritis. In 2011, Dr. McClelland was labeled an “Emerging Leader” in orthopedics by the American Orthopaedic Association. He was also recently elected by Piedmont Healthcare as a Senior Physician Reviewer for purposes of peer review and quality improvement.
For a detailed list of Dr. McClelland’s academic publications and presentations, please click here to see his curriculum vitae.
Dr. McClelland Authors AAOS Article
Dr. Walter McClelland and Dr. Xavier Duralde were featured in a recent American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) publication (AAOS Now) debating the treatment approach to bicep tendon pathology. This prestigious publication is read by a gobal network of over 39,000 orthopedists. Click here to read the article on tendodesis vs. tenotomy.
Dr. McClelland Recipient of 2014 Montague Boyd Award
Dr. McClelland was recently awarded the 2014 Montague Boyd Excellence in Publishing Award by Piedmont Healthcare, a writing award given annually to recognize clinical research and publishing achievements of Piedmont physicians and clinical staff.
The Boyd Award Committee honored Dr. McClelland’s book chapter entitled “Fractures of the Hand and Wrist” – which was published in the medical textbook “Current Reconstructive Surgery” – for its academic scholarship and contribution to medical practice and knowledge.
Dr. McClelland has recently been recognized by Vitals.com, an online physician rating site, for his excellent surgical outcomes and top-notch patient care. Awards are based on patient reviews of their experience and given to those physicians with the highest ratings nationwide
- 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Patient’s Choice Award: Honors doctors who provided excellent patient care – as reflected in their near perfect patient ratings.
- 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Compassionate Doctor Award: Honors doctors who treat their patients with the utmost kindness as reflected in their superior “Overall” and “Bedside Manner” ratings.
- 2014 Top 10 Doctor: Honors doctors within a certain specialty and location who are consistently given top ratings by their patients. Awarded to the top 1% of the nation’s 870,000 active physicians.
Since joining Peachtree Orthopedics, Dr. McClelland has traveled extensively to present his innovative research on reverse total shoulder arthroplasty and tendon transfers about the shoulder. Destinations have included:
- Nice, France (Nice Shoulder Course)
- Dubrovnik, Croatia (European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and Elbow)
- Nagoya, Japan (International Congress of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery)
- Montreal, Canada (American Orthopaedic Association/Canadian Orthopaedic Association)
Dr. McClelland has trained extensively in surgical and non-surgical care of upper extremity injuries in athletes, ranging from weekend warrior to professional. Since joining Peachtree Orthopedics, he has served as a consultant physician for Georgia State University Athletics, and will serve as the official orthopaedic provider to the PGA’s Tour Championship this fall at East Lake Golf Club.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery – Fellow
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand – Member
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons – Candidate Member
- American Orthopaedic Association – Emerging Leaders Program
- Georgia Orthopaedic Society – Public Relations Committee
- Georgia Shoulder and Elbow Society – Board of Directors, Secretary-Treasurer
- Georgia Society for Surgery of the Hand – Member
- Atlanta Orthopaedic Society – Member
- Robert P. Kelly Orthopaedic Society – President
Physicians - By NameMichael P. BERNOT, M.D.
James L. BESKIN, M.D.
Ezequiel CASSINELLI, M.D.
Wing K. CHANG, M.D.
John CHAO, M.D.
Xavier A. DURALDE, M.D.
Letha Y. GRIFFIN, M.D.
Timothy GRIFFITH, M.D.
Anuj GUPTA, M.D.
John D. HENRY, JR., M.D.
Lee A. KELLEY, M.D.
James S. KERCHER, M.D.
Scott KIMMERLY, M.D.
Daniel L. KINGLOFF, M.D.
Ashkan LAHIJI, M.D.
Donald F. LANGENBECK, M.D.
William G. LITTLEFIELD, M.D.
Walter B. MCCLELLAND, JR., M.D.
Stephen M. MCCOLLAM, M.D.
Allen MCDONALD, III, M.D.
Douglas H. MURRAY, M.D.
H. Herndon MURRAY, M.D.
Eric R. OSER, M.D.
Scott D. PENNINGTON, M.D.
Shevin D. POLLYDORE, M.D.
Ashok S. REDDY, M.D.
R. Marvin ROYSTER, M.D.
David A. SCHIFF, M.D.
Hal SILCOX, III, M.D.
Stephen W. SMITH, M.D.
Anil O. THOMAS, M.D.
Obi UGWONALI, M.D.
M. Jonathan YORK, M.D.